S&S Parts

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:05:28 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>  I think they
> >qualify as the rudest people that I have ever had dealings with in the
> >piano business.
>
> I tried to get a price list from them a year or so ago. I was informed that
> I must send them a business card, or letterhead, indicating that I was a
> business or technician. I wrote back that I was listed in the PTG
> directory, and if they would submit a business card or letterhead,
> indicating that they were a legitimate business, the PTG would possibly
> send them a copy for future reference.

Good for you Ron.. :)  Sometimes I wonder if S&S are on some kind of a self
destruct kick. You'd think after all these years of ammmaaaazzzing success from
the Yamaha camp, they'd learn a few tricks concerning service relationships. We
have the same problem (perhaps to a lesser degree then from New York) from the
folks in Hamburg. They seem to think that sitting on an arrogant, snobbish
pillar will somehow enable them to keep abreast of the competition. Meanwhile
competetors are snatching up technicians "favor" left and right. Buisness gets
tough for Steinway and what do they respond with ??? Steinway t-shirts ??
Steinway tenis balls ???

Steinway is gonna have to wake up and smell the coffee pretty soon.

Btw.. Tonite Chick Corea is in town. He is playing on a brand new Yamaha 9
footer.. CFIII I believe it is. Sponsered by Yamaha. Technician on the job
employed direct by Japan and following the tour. He's been to the Yamaha
schools in Japan, having lived there for about a year. Very nice fellow and
extremely competent tech. Of course Yamaha is making a big deal out of it all.
Profileing themselves. They were even kind enough to call and "apologise" for
sending along their own tech explaining that he was following the whole tour. I
am the regular tech for the Jazz club and festival here and I was suprised to
get such a call. Nice touch if you ask me. I told them I understood completely.
Fits in nicely with my own thoughts about techs, pianos, and owners. In any
case Yamahas behavior was far from arrogant. You S&S folks out there listening
??

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway