Modulus of Elasticity... Ron

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:29:16 -0500

> Encyclopedia of Wood
> 1989 Sterling Publishing
>
> It's a revision and reprint of Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering
Material

> A general purpose simple beam deflection formula for a center loaded beam
is:
> (L*L*L*Load)/(4*E*W*H*H*H)
> Where L=length between supports, W=width, H=height, and E=modulus of
> elasticity, which is about 1,570,000 for Sitka spruce along the grain.
>
> There are lots of reference books out there with all sorts of other beam
> deflection formulae, but this is about the most straight forward.

Hi Ron,

I had an interesting discussion today with a gentleman who's a mechanical
engineer!  It was one of those routine tunings where 'hubby' decided to find
out just how I was tuning this thing.  So as I explained what I was doing,
it became obvious very quickly that he understood very well the things I was
saying.  I only wish I had had an extra hour or two to spend in thoughtful
conversation... but I did take an extra 10 minutes I didn't really have
anyway.

I was telling him a little bit about some of the basic concepts we toss
about, such as crown, bearing, compression, etc., and he recommended that I
try to find a copy of "Roarcks Formulas for Stress and Strain".   He also
mentioned another book with a name like "Strength of Materials" which I've
also heard of, but not seen yet.

But the main thing that he was telling me was that he could probably figure
out a bunch of stuff for me, but it would be so much better if I learned to
figure it out for myself.  I liked that.  (Just like you've been telling

I've been so busy with tunings and a few other projects that I haven't had
much time to even think much on these things.  But hopefully, things will
slow down to a more reasonable pace after the holidays.

Nothing urgent here, but I did think of you when we were talking about this
stuff, Ron.

Hope you have a nice weekend.  :-)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA