Speaking of Baldwin action noise...

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:26:56 -0500

Hi List,

Speaking of Baldwin action noise, I thought I'd relate an experience.

I went to the home of a lady who had bought a new Baldwin console who =
wanted a 'muffler bar'  or 'mute bar' installed.  (In case I don't have =
the name right, it's one of those bars that has a long piece of felt =
attached that comes down between the hammer and the string, muffling the =
sound.)

Anyway, I installed the muffler bar.  But when she engaged it and sat =
down to play, she was horrified to find out that her new piano made =
horrible action noises, mostly upon key rebound. =20

The solution ended up being a replacement of the balance rail punchings =
(which were extremely hard) and adjusting the key upstop rail just a =
bit. =20

The main thing that irritated me was that this was a new piano.  We =
shouldn't 'need' to replace all the balance rail punchings on a piano =
that was just made a few months ago.  (Should we??)  I played a number =
of other brand name pianos in a showroom later on that week, and was =
actually surprised at how quiet some of them were.  But the Baldwins... =
ouch...

All that being said, I like Baldwins.  I see a lot of potential there.  =
I think they're capable of making very fine pianos.  Of all places to =
cut corners, though, it's hard to think that using a little higher =
quality of felt punchings could be 'that' expensive.  In all sincerity, =
I do hope the quality levels don't take enough of a downward spiral as =
to be unrecoverable.  (The name Kimball comes to mind.)  And perhaps =
they will surprise me and I'll start seeing improvements in the new =
pianos.? :-)  One can hope.

Just an experience.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend.

Brian Trout