Comdex show- WOW!! (off topic)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:27:02 -0800

Robert,

A couple of observations.

At 10:18 PM 11/20/99 -0600, you wrote:
><way off topic, but cool)

And, a picture of where the rest of the world is.

>It kind of makes the PTG convention seem like a group picnic and
>McDonalds.  Anyway, thousands of manufactures had booths
>everywhere and I got to see some pretty cool stuff.

In earlier years  ('60s and earlier), the NAMM convention in Anaheim (CA)
was like that.
Manufacturers could not afford to not attend.  Many piano makers, most of
them now long
gone, wrote wholesale orders for their entire year's production in just a
few days.  And, goodies
galor.

>One new really practical thing is "electronic business cards".
>essentially these are "cards" with a hole in the middle that you
>pass out to people.  They fit into any CD-ROM which can then give
>a short multimedia presentation about you.  I got a sample which
>I took home and it really works.

Tip of the iceberg.  The really hot ticket is bio-identification using
visual face/body scans,
retinal scans, and/or finger prints.  Thus "authenticated" to wherever, you
get online
business cards, prospectus, whatever - updated live... scary.

   Yamaha had a booth but I was very
>disappointed.  They had absolutely no music products whatsoever.
>I inquired and I was amazed that the hosts didn't have a clue
>what I was talking about! (Come on guys, get with the program!!)
>My guess is that these people are hired outside demo people and
>have limited knowledge of the company.

While this may well be the case, it also points out just what a very small part
of Yamaha's picture the musical instrument division is.  Sort of like the
company
"mission statement" for Toyota (for many years emblazoned over the entrance
to their main campus); "Total World Domination".  Rather speaks for itself.

>free software.  I got for FREE a really neat program called "Go
>Back".  I have loaded it on and it really works with no effort at
>all.  Essentially it corrects your mistakes if you screw up files
>or system settings.  It can restore files that you accidentally
>deleted, reset system changes that you didn't intend to, or even
reset the hard drive to the exact way it was even days earlier.

This is the one that first caught my eye in your message.  Although
"Go Back" is probably the current best-of-breed for this kind of software,
it really works the best if you load it on immediately after you install
your base operating system for the very first time (or, alternatively,
after you blow up your machine and are installing the OS again...).
That way, it is able to take the best possible advantage of its various
cataloging features.

Did I mention the importance of frequent backups and use of up-to-date
AV software?

>I also got a FREE full version of a professional office program
>called "Star Office".  It includes a word processor, spreadsheet,
>database, presentation program, drawing, and more.  It is
>completely integratable with other programs such as word and
>excel.  Darn nice for free I'd say.  I even got a dorky looking
>hat in the shape of a software box.  Now how could I be happier!!

I have not had a chance to play with this, but it sure is getting rave
reviews from a number of darned hard to please folks.  Almost a
"must have" if you are playing around with Linux.

>Anyway this was a really great thing to see and I wish I could
>have spent some more time there.  After eight hours fast walking
>I say hundreds of venders and thousands of new products and still
>NEVER got to the main convention center!!  It would take days to
>see all of this!

Several of our group just did exactly that...spent all week trying to
see groups of specific vendors with whom we do business.  They
are still in shock - AND, did not have time to sample any of the
various other delights offered up for public delictation in Las Vegas.

>  (Oh... I didn't see Bill Gates either, but
>Microsoft was EVERYWHERE!)

Yes.  And.?

Oh, yes...I keep meaning to ask...Is Bela Urban still around out there?

Glad you liked the show!

Best regards.

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP RPT 	voice: 650.725.9062
Systems Analyst/Engineer,		fax:    650.725.8014
Controller's Office, Stanford University	hgreeley@stanford.edu
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215