A new technique for easing tight tuning pins

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:11:22 -0600

Howdy doo all,

Not long ago I brought up an idea on this list of how to relieve
tight and squeaky tuning pins.  The response to my idea was
mixed.  Being the tinkering type I decided to experiment.  I am
now happy to report that the idea was a complete success!

The problem: Tuning pins that are too tight and squeak and pop
during tuning.  The result of course is an exceptionally
difficult and unstable tuning.  In my particular case I restrung
an upright piano with what seemed at the time an appropriate size
tuning pin.  Unfortunately when the job was completed I
immediately discovered that the tuning pins were WAY too tight,
not only threatening to break a pin but virtually incapable of
provide a good tuning.  Needless to say I sung a short chorus of
unmentionable words, (not my normal vocabulary by any means).

So... what to do?  After a few days of thought I came up with the
idea of somehow heating the pins in order to ease them, not
unlike easing a tight felt bushing in other applications.  I
first tried a few experiments in some scrap maple material by
drilling 2/0 holes and inserting 4/0 pins.  The result of course
was pins that were virtually impossible to turn.  I then built a
"pin heater" using the heating element from an old pair of shank
bending pliers, those electric things you use to bend hammer
shanks.  Using an old tuning hammer tip, I conformed various
pieces of hardware to construct a device that could easily slip
onto a tuning pin to apply the heat.

After getting the device good and hot I proceeded to heat the
tight experimental pin.  After about four minutes I removed the
heater and attempted to turn the pin.  Voila!!  Not only did it
turn but it turned smoothly and with no squeaking or popping!  Of
course things could change after the pin cooled so I waited.  The
results were the same, no change!!  Not satisfied with one
success I tried it again.  Then again.  After a reasonable number
of these it was clear that this technique was working
beautifully.  Four minutes of applied heat seemed to do the
trick. Next the acid test: I tried it on the piano.  The results-
a workable and smooth turning pin!!  Then another- same results.

Okay, admittedly it takes a while to do an entire piano.  But the
method does work and the piano does not have to be repined.  In
the field this is probably not all that practical with the
possible exception of treating some isolated pins.  If the piano
is in your possession however, you can treat the pins while doing
other projects.  Simply set an egg timer and change the pin
heater to the next pin as required.  You could also get several
heaters going at once, greatly speeding up the process.

The pin heater that I built is rather crude to say the least.  It
does get very hot, (I will have to confirm the wattage).  In the
near future I hope to refine the device.  Perhaps a nice
insulated handle with a built in timer. We'll see what develops.
If I can find a neat and efficient way to built these perhaps
I'll make some available for sale, (personal plug).

Happy day!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV