Wurlitzer:steaming

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:52:41 -0800

Ed Carwithen wrote:

> What is with Wurlitzer.  Every one that I work with rings like a banjo in
> the upper treble....... twangy and brittle....Voicing and hammer work doesn't
>
> really help it much.

Steam voicing saved me on one of these.I had not previously used this
technique.
After failing to get satisfactory results on sample notes
with my usual techniques I decided it was a good candidate
for an attempt at stream voicing.
Regulation, seating strings had already been done..
Very little steam gave, dramatic results.
Three passes, one to gang them (3 seconds steam)
,one extra for the treble(1 second stream)  ,
and one to pick on very stubborn notes( touch with steam).
Tiny bit of deep shoulder needling afterwards to bring
up a little bit of meat in the bass.
It actually sounds quite reasonable now.

Any comments and where and when the use
of steam is or is not appropriate are welcome.

                                           Cheers
                                           Dave Renaud
                                            RPT
                                            Canada