Jumpy Tuning Pins

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:49:12 +1100

> I have heard from a former Bosendorfer man that they rub talc on the tuning
pins
> before banging them in for the same reasons. Not sure if it is true, never had
> to remove a tuning pin on a Bosendorfer. But then there are only a couple
three
> or four around here..
>
> Richard Brekne

I've seen and tried using a stick of chalk (ie what teachers use on a
blackboard) on tuning pins before hammering them in. You only need to put a
little stripe down the threaded part of the pin...no jumpy ones!

The chalk works its way through the hole when you start turning the pin,
pulling it up to pitch.

Works for me...no negative effects since 1987 when I started doing it

Cheers
--
Mark Bolsius
Bolsius Piano Services