gulbransen console

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rshiflet@eaznet.com
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:35:36 -0700

Dear list,
    A few years back, I purchased a Gulbransen console.  It was old and =
had plastics all through the action.  The plastics were shattering and I =
replaced most of the parts with used wooden ones.  Then I sold the =
piano.  The wooden parts weren't real straight and I ran into lots of =
sticky key issues.  Fortunately, the owner was real understanding and I =
took the piano back for repair and gave them a loaner.  Most of the =
piano has a new action with Kawai ABS parts.  The are straight, non =
sticky and wonderful.  With a project of this size there are always =
other issues and I have worked most of them out but there are a few =
still left to resolve. =20
    As of today the following modifications have been made. =20
  a.. Hammer butts are now Kawai ABS, pre sprung.  Springs have been =
removed from rail.=20
  b.. New wippens.  Kawai ABS.  Jacks were too long and so were replaced =
with the correct shorter jacks.  All other things about the wippens are =
a good fit.=20
  c.. Keys were front heavy and always fell forward.  Keys have been =
weighted and now fall in the back. =20
    I then reassembled it in the following order. =20
  a.. I installed the dampers first and did a really good job there.=20
  b.. Then I put in the hammers and aligned them.=20
  c.. Added the wippens, aligned them.  =20
  d.. Added the keys, aligned them.  =20
  e.. Performed basic regulation getting hammer distance, key height, =
letoff, spoons, etc.  ( all of this was done WITHOUT the damper pedal =
rod in place)
    The piano plays just fine until I use the sustain pedal.  When I =
push the sustain pedal, the hammers fall forward just like a soft pedal =
will move the hammers forward.  The rod is NOT connected to the wrong =
place. =20
    My gut instinct tells me to redo the spoons with the damper rod in =
place.  Any suggestions.
=20
Ron Shiflet
rshiflet@eaznet.com