"snootty" fee was Re: Pitch Raises

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 08:25:52 +0100

Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

> Wim- I'm not going to argue semantics. I happen to know the tech well
> enough to say he is of the highest integrity, many years of experience,
> and probably he, in actuality, does a great deal more free work than
> most........... Your point is noted. Since I see very few piano techs
> driving Jags, or Lexus', in the long run, a strong case could be made
> that techs cheat themselves far more times than they cheat their
> customers.
> lesb

This is without a single doubt very true. Piano techs notoriously undercut
themselves in many ways in an attempt to be kind to all the poor ignorant
old ladies out there, who just happen to be the ones in the Lexus' etc.
Seriously tho... we as a group do way too much free work, work on pianos
that should be trashed or at least repaired in a defensable manner and way
to little insisting on quality of condition and reasonable understanding
fromt the customer of what piano care is all about. As long as this is the
case, our industry will struggle along with beat up old VW's and pianos
produced in sections in twelve different countries and assembled at Lego
Land.  My 50 øre's worth. grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway