soundboard press

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:47:49 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: ANRPiano@AOL.COM <ANRPiano@AOL.COM>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Sunday, October 24, 1999 1:42 AM
Subject: soundboard press

>I am in the process of building a soundboard press along the lines which
>Claire Davies built and discribed in the Jornal some time ago.  I have been
>completely unable to find a source for southern yellow pine as per his
>suggestion in the Chicago area.  Does anyone know of a source or an
>alternative material.

Does anyone on this list use vacuum-bagging to build soundboards?  No press
required, no clamps, no space permanently taken up by the equipment, no
heavy frames, etc..  A plywood form, easily constructed and easily shaped
and modified, along with a $100 pump and some plastic bag is all the
equipment needed.  The whole setup can be made in an afternoon.  As an added
bonus, the vacuum bag can be used to dry wood.

I'm not advertising equipment, just wondering.

Frank Weston