tool case

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:46:00 -0500

Greetings, List.

In my searchings around for a good tool case, I have finally found something
that I consider both functional and affordable.  IMO, we techs should not
have to spend loads of money on a case that will hold every single tool we
have, because normally we will use just a few of them on most service calls.
For the most part, we do primarily tuning.  Therefore, it seems to me that
we should not carry around the extra weight of tools that are not often
used.

With that in mind, I had been looking for a case for some time.  In the
past, I have used various cases, mostly of the briefcase style with tool
pockets.  The last setup I used was a 50 caliber ammo can painted black.  I
made trays which would hold almost all my tools, but the thing was blasted
heavy!  When I got finished tuning, and talked to my customer for more than
a couple of minutes, I had to put it down.  I carried it and another like it
for my Accutuner.  They worked well, but the convenience of having all the
tools handy was not worth the extra weight of tools that I don't use much
anyway.

I think I have finally found something that I can use for many years.  It is
called a range bag, and is used for carrying pistols and ammo to the
shooting range.  Therefore, it is designed to carry substantial loads.  I
purchased Schaff's larger canvas tool roll, in which I have all the
necessary tools for most of the things that I do during average days.  The
bag measures 15" x 10" x 8" and there is room for my SAT II next to the
canvas roll.  There is even room for another tool roll if I needed it.  The
nice thing about this is that it has zippered pockets on either side of the
bag, making it ideal for quick-grab things like strip mutes, rubber mutes,
my two tuning levers, Accu-Fork, and thermometer/hygrometer--stuff that I
use every tuning.  There is room to grow if I need more stuff to carry
along.  An internal pocket carries my SAT instruction manual...just in case.
:-)  The bag even comes with a shoulder strap which is icing on the cake.

I'm happy with what I found, and have not seen anything comparable to it
thus far.  For $34.97, I could not resist.  The bags are available from the
Cheaper Than Dirt company, 1-888-625-3848--ask for a catalog. The website is
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com.

Thought I'd share this find with you all.  Would be glad to know anything
you have found that works well for you, as I am always on the lookout for
something that will make me more efficient.

Best to you all.

John Formsma