voicing mixtures and procedures

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 22:32:58 -0600

--=====================_2053169==_.ALT
Hi Zoran,
              50% alchhol to water, it is most cotrolled by applying with a
camel haired brush about 1/4" diameter apply to the shoulders untill you
see it
soak about 1/8" to 3/16". If you still have a lot of percussive noise lightly
soak the strike point about 1/16" . in other words get most of the excess
fluid
out of the brush before applying.
This teatment will require the hammers to be reshaped a little and tends to
deform the shoulders.
Steam voicing is far more controlled and more effective. See previous post in
archives. I could also send you a reprint of a complete Journal artical with
photo's, if you forward a mailing address.
Script enclosed as attachment.
To brighten hammers, I prefer to reshape and dry iron with the voicing iron
fairly hot, in the majority of cases this along with close let off and well
regulated jack height is enough, whilst maintaining a warm dark quality at
ppp.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 01:12 AM 04/09/99 +0200, you wrote:

>     Hi List,
>
>      my name is Zoran Grujic,I work as piano teacher and technician in
> Yugoslavia.I will have much voicing work on rock-hard hammers in old,bad
> grands in musical school here.I would like to hear some of your experiences
> about hammer softeners (alcohol/water,or some other mixture).How much water
> goes into alcohol?How to apply it?I am also interested in shelac hammer
> hardener,which was in use before lacquers.The same questions as before.I
> checked archives,but didn't get all answers about it.
>     Many thanks in advance.Regards,
>

>                                                              Zoran
>

> zorang@mgnet.co.yu

--=====================_2053169==_.ALT