Kawai ABS Flanges

Don Mannino donmannino@mediaone.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 20:34:48 -0700

Howdy Terry and everyone!

Protec should do not harm at all to the ABS.  Those who have taken my action
center class know that I am not fond of lubricating in general, and prefer
repinning to be sure that the problem which is causing the tight parts is
eliminated and the flange is well fit.  I realize that repinning isn't
always practical, though.

The only thing I know of which is bad for the ABS would be petroleum based
solvents, often present in oils and lubricants. As far as I know Protec has
none of these, so it will not harm the ABS.  The solvents can weaken the ABS
over time - it won't get brittle, but some of the strengthening chemicals in
the ABS will be leached out, weakening the flange.

Shrink fitting also works if needed, although the cloth is already
stabilized enough that it might need a strong solution.

If repinning isn't economically feasible, I would recommend wet sizing (30%
water, 70% alcohol), then come back the next day and repin any flanges that
are still tight (take the action out and swing the whole thing to get an
idea of those that are still tight, or maybe got worse from the sizing).
Finally, a light application of Protec will lower the friction further and
perhaps improve the reliability for a few years.

If the piano is in warranty (or if you're not sure) you should call or write
to me with the serial number.  I am out of the office on vacation right now,
but you might call me at the office Wednesday or later. (800) 421-2177 ext.
310.

Don Mannino RPT, Manager
Kawai Piano Technical Support, US and Canada
http://www.kawaius.com
DMannino@kawaius.com <mailto:DMannino@kawaius.com>