Plate Screws !!

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:19:38 -0500 (CDT)

Jim,

> It just seemed odd to me that there were
>'no' screws loose out of that number................

* Ok, I see. Sorry, I've spent the weekend putting in a kitchen and I'm
pretty brain burned.

>   It is an altogether interesting plate design with screws running
>completely around the perimeter with the exception of a 24" stretch in the
>bass.....

* Hmmmmm, how many reasons could there be for that? How does the bass sound?
is the bridge on a cantilever? Did they, perchance, float the bottom of the
soundboard? Check and see if the back side of the soundboard liner is
attached to anything in that area. Del did this in his vertical, for better
flexibility and bass response. He said it worked great. Wish I could hear
one, I haven't seen any of his pianos yet.  :-(

>In addition to the plate design, the soundboard has cutoffs in the
>top left hand and bottom right hand corners thus effectively giving a kinda
>odd trapezoidal/rectangular shape to the speaking/crowned area of the board
>Jim Bryant (FL)

* Yep, that's impedance control. Keeps the ribs shorter and eliminates
unproductive areas of the board. It's interesting to me how many of the old
verticals had these.

 Ron N