Piano bench height

Roger C Hayden rchayden1@juno.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:26:45 -0400

I like a bench height that keeps my arms level with my hand,  so there is
at most only a slight break or angle at the wrist, generally the hand a
tad higher.  There is less tension in the tendons in a level wrist, thus
more freedom, reach, and dexterity and available expression.  So the
bench must match the pianist and the keyboard.  Sit them down and observe
their playing.

However, not all agree on this position.  I have a client who puts plants
on the bench in the bedroom, and squats on a foot stool to play his
Baldwin R.  It really looks strange, playing from your chin, and most
folks would need telescopic vision to see the music from down there?!
But, he's been taught that way by a renowned pianist/performer, and
teaches his own pupils the same.  Not for me.

Ah, the wife just came home, and she's better company than you, no
offense intended of course.

Roger Hayden, RPT