Warbling piano wire

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:32:01 -0400

Hi Bill,

I suspect you'll find that there aren't a lot of easy answers to your
customer's problems.

There's probably a bridge that was notched and pinned poorly from the
beginning.  That's not a practical repair for most pianos in the caliber to
which you refer.

There could  be problems with the piano wire, and putting on some new
strings may help a bit, but again, I doubt it would be practical to go that
far with a Julius Baker console.

You mentioned the v-bar.  If that doesn't provide a sharp enough angle to
provide a good termination point, that will give some less than desirable
sounds.  But you said that looked pretty good.  Actually, if it's the kind
with the screws holding it in towards the plate, it's probably one of the
most easily adjusted factors.

Is there the possibility that the non-speaking parts of the strings are open
and ringing in sympathy with the speaking lengths?  just not in tune?  I do
know that these segments can cause some serious racket at times, and can be
extremely annoying.

Good luck.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA