Coleman 11

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:07:38 -0500

TEAM2000 website: http://www.equaltemperament.com/PTG/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of A440A@AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 8:13 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Coleman 11

Greetings,
Inre the Temperament Revival Dog and Pony show going to the Lone Star State,
Dave writes:

>Thanks for the invitation.  That should be a great day.  I'll check my
>calendar and see if I can do it.

Please do.  Siege has been laid on Texas and we need all the help we can
get.
(:)}}
     I recently received a rejection from one school there, even though a
sponsor had already offered to underwrite the program!  Their reason was
that
they were "not quite prepared for the aesthetic implications in our
proposal".   Whoooeeee doggie!  I know fear when I smell it.........  I
would
have written them a letter explaining that if they wait until they are
"quite
prepared", they will always be followers,  but I may need that bridge later
for kindling, so don't want to burn it just yet.
      Schools are critical for change, I find students to be far more
adventurous than their professors, but they are all important to the
avante-garde, and the use of temperaments is definitely avante-garde at the
moment.  It will not always be so, however.     It is only a matter of time
before the schools, factories, and stores begin to see the worth in a
variety
of temperaments, perhaps only when the true cost of mono-temperament is made
clear, perhaps when they find a way to use it as a selling point.
Widespread
conversion is a question of esthetics vs. Money, so a combination of the two
is probably the way to make the most progress.
     There will be schools that seek the avante-garde, (go Avery!), and
there
will be others that run and hide from it.   The former are to be pursued,
wooed, encouraged and helped,  the latter are to be pitied, but don't slam
the door on them, they will want to play too, once they see it is safe and
everybody else is having more fun than they are.
Regards,.
Ed Foote
(do they really have rattlesnake problems on campus down there????)