Australian sold Yamaha

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:33:17 +0930

Hi Jim,

Of course you are right, there is a vast difference in climatic =
conditions in the various parts of Australia and of course one should =
never shift a piano outside its current living environment but that's =
what people do.

Moisture content of timber (pine) in Alice Springs can be as low as 5%, =
Sydney is about 15% and Darwin (where I live) is either 23% or 14% =
(depending on what time of year. I could go on about this but when some =
one from Sydney rings my and says I am coming to Darwin and I have been =
told that if I take my piano it will wreck it, 'what should I do ?')

My answer is always 'bring your piano, put it in the right place in your =
house, (no draughts, outside walls, rocky floors etc and have a =
Dampp-Chaser de-humidity system fitted upon arrival and the piano will =
be fine.'

So a few do and the rest ignore the advise.  Advise is great when people =
ask for it and use it but otherwise it is all thought of as a sales con =
and ignored.

People can't and won't sell their 80yo piano because their are moving to =
another place and then buy a new piano when they get there. It just =
doesn't happen.

When I say 'let it acclimatize first I mean that leave it for a month, =
look at it, tighten or loosen the action, raise or lower the key =
capstains  etc etc depending on how the piano settles in to its new =
home.  Sure immediately put a Dampp-Chaser system in it immediately, =
every piano should have one be it wet, dry or normal depending on the =
condition, also, where are the people going next ?, how long are they =
going to be there, ? Analyse the situation and then give the right =
advise.

The question was " Has anyone any experience with a Yamaha baby grand =
purchased in Australia, being moved to North America?      I have a =
customer who has recently come
 from Australia, and brought his Yamaha baby grand. I was wondering if =
it is liable to have some of the problems, associated with the used =
imports from Japan."

This was the question I answered.  What I and Yamaha Australia refer to =
as tropicalised pianos are,  waterproof glues used in bridges and other =
wood parts instead of white glue, hammer heads stapled instead of not =
stapled.  Timber also is seasoned to a different degree.  The grey piano =
is often made of cheaper materials. Timbers, glue, felt etc, it may look =
the same but to maintain a set quality many thing are graded then used =
as the manufacturer sees fit.=20
=20
Sorry for the rave but all I did was answer a question and I guess I =
assumed that John knows the rest of the story because living in Alaska =
he would have had many people move there from other places already,

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au

----- Original Message -----=20