Speaking of vert. hitch pins...

Tue, 6 Jun 2000 07:00:03 -0700

To the best of my knowledge, I introduced this pin on a small grand piano I
designed for Baldwin.  At the time I called it the "Accu-Set" pin as opposed
to the "Accu-Just" pin used in the large grands.  The use of the pin was not
patentable, but the name was copyrightable.

The idea was that the pin would be installed to a predetermined height and
the plate would be installed to a reference height off the treble bridge.
Assuming that the soundboard and rib set were made correctly, and the
pinblock and bridges were made to the correct dimensions, downbearing would
be within a tolerance range and would not require any adjustment on-line by
relatively unskilled workers.  I left the company before any of the actual
engineering work was done and before the assembly line was set up.  Based on
what I saw in dealers showrooms, it was never done as envisioned.

The hitch pin is still a good idea, however.  And, no, the wire height is
not 'adjustable' in the same way it is on the spring pin.  It was not
intended to be so.  I did not foresee any need for future adjustment on this
piano.  The system was designed to work with a laminated soundboard and
pre-crowned ribs -- a very stable combination.  String downforce was
intended to be a bit heavy at stringing, after which it would quickly settle
in.  No fine adjusting necessary or desired.

I still like the pin and use it quite often when we convert the original
system to vertical pins in the work we do.  We will probably be using it
again one day soon.

(By the way, the pin is made by the Groov-Loc company.  I can get the full
name and address if it is needed.)