unhappy customer

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:36:27 -0500

I give the regular tuning price first and describe what is included.  Then,
I explain that the piano may need a pitchraise, describing it as needing to
be tuned 2 or even 3 times in worst cases.  The customer usually thinks that
this will then double or triple the regular tuning fee and is momentarily
shocked.  I let 'em hang for a second, then explain that if pitchraised, it
doesn't double or triple the fee and they are relieved and happlily agree
with the possible pitchraise fee.  Psych 101.

I almost never do anything extra for a fee not approved first by the
customer.  I often times stick a needle in all string cuts to temporarily
improve the tone (5 minutes) and never mention it or charge for it.  The
customer just thinks you're a great tuner.  If tuning (to them) is "make the
piano sound better", why not lightly voice when you have the time and think
it will be significant?
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
David Ilvedson
  Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:01 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: RE: unhappy customer

  Bad boy...although if you hadn't done the voicing you would have been done
tuning and no one home and no one to pay the bill?  I don't let customers
leave without a check on the oft chance they don't get back before I'm done.

  You also need to let potential customers know about pitch raise
possibilities and the fee for such additional work when talking on the
phone.  I know it can make your fees seem high but a brief explanation
usually makes sense to them and no surprises at the job.

  David I.