drill bits - Drilling a pinblock

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:48:11 EST

Greg Newell wrote;

<<problems incurred  when drilling a pin block are from the heat
generated...pre drill?... dangers be in this plan?>>    and      <<favorite
source or type for the drill bits needed?...type of bit I would use? Are
there bit coatings I should use? Are better bits manufactured using
coatings?...>>

I HAVE to respond because drill bits and drill bit sharpeners are a kind of
hobby for me. Drill bit technology has improved greatly in the past several
years, and there are now many inproved tip designs, shank designs, new
materials,  and coatings, The best bits today put the old jobber bits to
shame.

If you have the right bits and equipment, step drilling successively larger
holes to get to the final size is a waste of time and will not produce a
better result.

I would first suggest you use a split point, or some other advanced type
point drill bit, of which there are many.  ( Notch point - split point -
Bickford point - helical, etc.) They are self centering and do not wander
when starting.  The split points automatically reduce heat generated because
they cut right to the center of the hole, unlike standard jobber bits that
crush the wood aside into the cutting edges.  That "chisel edge" is where
most of the heat originates. You should be able to drill the hole in one pass
without a worry of heat damage with split point drills, IF they are sharp.
The heat problem arises on the dense Delignite type blocks, not very much on
the older types.

IF you are using a hand drill (which I do NOT suggest), I suggest drilling a
few thousandths smaller than final and using an actual fluted reamer, not a
drill bit, to take the hole to final size. Drill bits do not make good
reamers, and drilling in stages does not improve them.   The accuracy of the
final hole would be on the order of one or two ten thousandths of an inch if
you ream the holes by hand with a solid carbide straight fluted reamer,  not
by using the  reamer in a drill.  This degree of accuracy is wasted because
the tuning pins vary by ten times that amount, and they are a limiting
factor, but the finish on the sides of the hole is better.

There are "dreamers" available, and you can have them custom made to your
specs., to .0005 accuracy.  They are a combined  drill bit and reamer on one
shaft for one-pass hole drilling.

For sharpness, I have found that solid carbide bits are perfect for pinblock
drilling, and they stay perfectly sharp for several pinblocks. ( everybody
recognizes the superiority of carbide tipped saw blades, but few will
actually buy a solid carbide drill bit.) Drill only with very sharp bits.  If
you cannot perfectly machine sharpen your own bits, buy several of the best
bits and/or reamers you can,  send them out and have them done right. They
are totally different, and vastly better, than the gold colored (titanium
nitride coating) bits at Walmart or Harbor Freight.  I can sharpen and split
points on my own bits with a sharpener I have that (used) cost me over
$500.00,  but most people do not have one.

Get your bits from a local machinery supply dealer. These companies supply
precision machine shops. Go look in their catalogs to see what they can get
for you. ( look under;  machine shop supplies) If there is nothing in your
area, try McMaster Carr, or MSC (1-800-645-7270) They have all the tooling
necessary to set up an aircraft factory. For just good bits, Cleveland Twist
Drill (888-434-8665), or Precision Twist drill, . (don't have their number) -
All these suppliers have online addresses. At 888-434-8665 you can get
technical help to find the right "fit" of tooling for your technique and
material.

Size is a big deal, but results can vary with technique. There are four
standard sizes of drill between the  17/64 and 6.8 mm pinblock drills
mentioned by one poster.
17/64 = .2656"
6.75mm = .2657"
H = .2660"
6.8mm=.2677"
Get a drill size chart and experiment for torque desired with a particular
set of tuning pins in a particular pinblock with a particular way of
drilling. Top quality drills are closer to the size they say they are, and
the slightly different sized holes they drill can make a significant
difference in torque.

If you use a hand drill, even with a "bubble", your hole could easily be up
to ten-thousandths larger than the drill.  I suggest you rig up some sort of
jig to either drill the block after it is finally attached to the plate,  or
that you mark the holes and drill in a jig on a drill press, for improved
consistency.

In the end, jigs and better drill bits and more precise drilling machines are
only to give you an advantage to replace skills and experience  you don't
have.  A hundred years ago they were drilling by hand with brace and bit,
walking over to a grinding wheel and sharpening the bit by hand and eye, and
they got consistently good results. It isn't rocket science, and if you drill
five or ten blocks a day, like they did,  you can dispense with most of the
above information. We have to use better technology  just  to do as well.

Good luck.

Bill Simon
Phoenix