Upper Treble dilemma

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:24:50 EST

gharvey@netsource.co.nz writes:

<< Hi List,

 I'm working on a 7' Schiedmayer grand from around 1900's that has seen quite
a bit of work previously. Nothing new in that, however I have some queries
that I'm sure many of you may be able to address.

 The upper treble section has recently been restrung, (a poor job too I might
add, and the customer thinks so too) but what I noticed first off is that the
previous tech left out the bearing cloth between the agraffes and pins.
(Possibly intentionally)
 There is a metal curved bearing insert where the remainder of the piano has
bearing cloth. After de-stringing I noticed that the other bearing inserts
were timber with cloth covering.
 My question is; should the upper treble metal insert have a cloth covering
or is there a good reason for it being metal and possibly not being covered?

 The restring job in this section was done with one gauge throughout (note 70
to note 88 with .825mm or .032") giving the treble a strange sound as well.
 After sanding off the terrible paint job (gold house paint applied with yard
broom) I found the original (?) plate gauge markings showing 4 gauge changes
in this section which seems more normal to me.
 Do most of you routinely check the scaling in the treble? If so do you often
find improvements, as there is little room  to move in this area, perhaps
only a gauge or so and stepping at a slightly different point?

 BTW I think the same tech did the action work, the DW was too heavy to be
read by my measure weights ie 70 plus grams.
 New hammers down to note 13, some new knuckles here and there etc etc. Plays
like a truck...

 Many thanks,
 Regards,

 Graeme Harvey
 New Plymouth NZ.

As far as the bearing inserts, I would advice you try to do the same thing an
all of them. I have done a few pianos where the strings were left to "ring"
between bearing and pin, (kind of like a reverse duplex), and it created more
problems than I wanted to deal with.

As far as the scaling, since you have the scaling from the original, I would
do it that way. I have rescaled the upper treble on a couple of pianos with
good results. Not just with pianos that were restrung, but even on pianos
with the original scale.

With all the other problems with the piano, I would question whether to do
just a few things to make it better, or to attempt to rebuild the whole
piano, starting from scratch, so to speak, to make it play and sound better.
I don't know if you have the ability to do that, (I know I would have a
difficult time doing it), or if the customer is willing to pay for it, or if
the piano is worth it.

Willem