EZ quiz - answer

Sat, 04 Mar 2000 08:11:08 -0600

Good answers all!  ...and I'll keep my eye out for some of those things
mentioned which I've not yet had the privilege to encounter.

...and the winner, coming closest to the correct answer, is:

>>Hmm,  I had a squeak in a D once, it was from the lyre's microscopic
movement
>>against the bottom of the piano.  ????
>>Ed

It becomes a reinforcement of my policy to always (or at least try to) put
every screw back into the exact hole from whence it came.

In the process of refinishing (not by me, BTW) the screws for the lyre
mounting plates got moved around.   Not ordinarily any big deal, except
that in this case one of the lower plate screws was driven in slightly
angled.  (original from factory, and one of the other screwheads shows
filing)  The result was that part of that screwhead was sticking up far
enough to touch the upper plate.  I ran my 6"/150mm steel rule across as a
straightedge to check and it snagged on that screw head.

That screw was enough to "high-center" the lyre.  Compounding the problem
is the fact that the wood on the right (damper pedal) side of the lyre top
displayed a little barrel warp making the top surface slightly convex.  I
suspect that when I remove the plate I'll find a buildup of finish which
also brought the plates closer together.  The plate top is closer to the
wood surface than I like to leave them.

The squeak was either that screw or the plates when the convex top and
protruding screw conspired to rock the boat.  I temporarily inserted
business card shims, and all was quiet...   Eventually I'll true up the top
surface of the lyre and remount one of the plates.  Lowering the plate
would help to firm up the connection, but I fear that the warp would still
allow movement, so I'll do both.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College			-(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.
---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice