key duplication/uprights

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 04 Mar 2000 11:01:09 -0800

Hello, Clark:

Yes, there was that (gruesome era) that has been labeled as such
posthumously.  The procedures you mentioned (mirrors, new legs and
moulding removal were modernization techniques.  Today they are about as
saleable as yesterdays newspaper.  Since that didn't work or at least
didn't last long, maybe reversing direction would be the way to go.
Anyway, I'm not artistic enough to really do this so I only talk about
it, not do anything.  I'd really like to see uprights come back in
favor, but when I see how hard it is to get a decent price for a good
one, I lose interest.  Yes, there are some who appreciate them and some
are even willing to pay a decent price but It becomes a marketing
problem for such a small specialized market.

Anyway, I'll continue to think and talk about it, but probably won't do
anything about it.

Regards