installing spoons

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:05:08 +0200

I've seen actions where the hole for the spoon has gone all the way through,
so one would just push the spoon through and cut them off when at the right
lenght and file off the end, not so?

Brian Lawson
PTG Assc, MPT.
Johannesburg, South Africa

Does anyone have any suggestions for installing spoons.  I have an
action with spoons that are too long.  I've pulled them out and shortened
them but I have problems re-installing them
  a.. Pushing the spoons into the wood (as opposed to shortening them) isn't
possible since the spoons are pressed so tight into the wood.
  b.. I've been pulling them out ok to shorten them but when I put them back
in, they don't press down enough so when I push hard they don't go in far
enough.  Then I've pushed them down with vice grips and the spoon cup bends
over.  (doing this actually installs them about right but I have a ruined
spoon cup.  When I straighten it back, the spoon cup has a dent and isn't
smooth.  Obviously, this isn't going to work, but at this point, I can get
away with only replacing about 7-8 spoons.
  c.. I've been told to bend the spoons one way and back again to shorten
them.  Originally this idea seemed like a lot of trouble but I'm beginning
to wonder if it will be shorter in the long run.

Ron  Shiflet