Old Upright, partial plate, Pitch?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not much of a tech, but from what I've read in
Larry Fine's piano book (I think) and in Arthur
Reblitz's "Piano Servicing, Tuning & Rebuilding", a
piano with a 3/4 plate has a high risk of structural
failure.  Personally, I am only getting started in
tuning pianos (i've tuned mine several times (full
plate) and tuned a few friends' pianos.  I would be
uncomfortable trying to raise the pitch on a 3/4 plate
piano to 440.  I might try 435, but I'd check with
other techs.  Personally I'd be more comfortable with
427 or 50 cents flat (for a short time, after breaking
the 3rd string (not all in the same tuning though) I
had my 56" full plate 1913 Ricca & Son tuned 50c
flat).  You guys can decide what you want to do, but
if it was my piano and I wanted to play along with
recordings (CDs and cassettes), I would tune the piano
100c low (A-415) and transpose my playing up a half
step.  I'm new here so that's just my opinion and what
I've learned from reading a couple books and some
emails from techs on the list.

I'd appreciate it if you RPTs on the lists (of which
I'm not yet) check me out and correct me if/where
necessary.

--- Mike and Jane Spalding <mjbkspal@execpc.com>