Perspectives

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 22:26:58 -0400

Friends,

Today I had the "privilege" of tuning old uprights at both ends of the
scale, bad and pretty good.

The first was a 1916 Pianista that had serious pinblock problems, and of
the first three bichords in the bass two single-wound strings were
missing and a third was torn.  The other three strings were so flat that
I was relatively certain I couldn't get them to pitch without them
tearing, too.  Beyond that, most of the piano was close to pitch.

I hate this kind of service call, but because they were former students
who had just bought the wornout thing for $200 I agreed to try to get it
working after advising them they might be better off just forgetting
about it.  They decided to let me fix it (bummer!).  As I expected, a
fourth string tore as I tried to get it to pitch.  I knotted it and
then, wimp that I am, I cut the remaining two and spliced in some new
steel.  So now those three notes have four spliced strings (looks awful,
just awful!) and two universal replacement strings, which I guess are a
necessary evil sometimes but I've pretty well lost confidence in
expecting them to sound good.

Sorry if I eradicated any professional respect you may have had for me.
So now the clients have 400 bucks in a piano that I would value at about
$75.  But they are happy, and I am happy, that I am out of their house
having made them happy.  Did I do them a service or disservice?  I
dunno.

My last piano today was a 1907 Packard, all original and although not
perfect looks mighty good for its age.  I told the client I actually
like the piano, something I don't say very often about aged unrestored
pianos.  The tuning had barely changed since I was there last year.

Just venting a little.  Thanks for reading.

Regards, Clyde