S&S tuning pins...let me clarify

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:21:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/01 11:12:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> but there's no question that
> an extremely tight pin,that has NO bushing, is defintely harder to
> tune...example: the S&S verticals. Yes, the pressure bar makes them
> notorious for rendering problems, but the very tight, bushless pins cause
> major "flagpoling." I think many of you assumed, from that description,
> that
> I was referring to the pin being moved UP/Down as a result of bad hammer
> technique.
> ***Maybe I should specify; the pin will "twist" a very large amount,
> causing
> a BIG pitch change BEFORE the pin actually moves in the block. That's what
> meant to say.***

Terry.

Again, the problem of tuning pins twisting, before turning, is not related to
the pin bushings. That is related to very tight tuning pins in the block.
Bushings are not going to make the pin block looser. You are still going to
have tight pins, no matter what. Tight tuning pins is what we all have to
learn to work with.

As far as S&S verticals, that has nothing to do with tight pins. That has to
do with strings rendering over pressure points. We all ache problems with
those pianos.

> Btw, my hammer technique is quite effective; In most situations, and I
> emphasise MOST, my tuning time is about 50 minutes or less.

I hope I didn't imply that your hammer technique was not effective. But you
asked about how to deal with tight tuning pins in relation to bushings, and
the problem you have with flagpoling. Flagpoling can be corrected by proper
hammer technique.

Wim