hammer acceleration

Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:30:37 -0700

Roger:

It is a Steinway from the 1980's and its a bit of a mess.  Sharps and =
naturals have different key ratios (oops).  The Renner wippens I put on =
have a higher profile which forces the capstans a bit lower, but it =
actually put the cap/heel contact more on the convergence line than it =
was.  I wonder if a longer knuckle radius would result in a faster rate =
of acceleration through the swing arc.   And if it does, would that =
contribute to a feeling of less control because once the static friction =
is broken the key would accelerate more easily, i.e., it might feel like =
the key is flying away from you too fast?  Just a thought.

David Love =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 25, 2001 3:19 AM
  Subject: Re: hammer acceleration

  Hi David,
                The Abel shanks are lighter than the Renner, this can =
add to you observations.  Also no graphite depending on the humidity in =
your area, this can be a significant difference re friction.  These are =
the two reasons I prefer the Abel shanks.
  It's been a while since I used Renner shanks, so things may have =
changed.
    I have not noticed any thing amiss with any of Wally's knuckles with =
regards to friction, and I know he is very vigilant with regards to =
dimensions,  alignment and friction.  He gets a lot of feed back, so =
talk to him, he may have some extra ideas.
  Is this a Steinway?  If so the capstan and heel geometry is critical.  =
1mm change can mean a whole lot, so check carefully.
  Just some random thoughts.
  Roger

  At 11:48 AM 8/24/01 -0700, you wrote:=20

    Roger/Newton:

    In this case it is new parts.  Renner wippens, Abel shanks.  Center =
pins are fine everything is lubricated properly and adequately.  I am =
aware of the static friction element but it seems more than that.   I do =
notice that the leather on the Abel shanks is much different than the =
leather on Renner shanks, which I have generally used in the past.  The =
Abel knuckles seem not as smooth and soft as Renner's.  Any comments on =
that? =20

    David Love
        ----- Original Message -----=20