proper use of PTG name

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:51:52 -0700

Wim, and others,
Would you please continue this discussion on PTG-L?

Thanks,
jeannie
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@AOL.COM
  Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 8:42 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: proper use of PTG name

  In a message dated 8/30/01 11:02:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
  cedel@supernet.com writes:

    I am currently a PTG chapter president.  Does that make me a president
of the
    PTG?  I would consider that misrepresentation.

  If you are a current member of the PTG, you are not allowed, by our
Bylaws,
  to use your position in the PTG in any advertising. This includes being an
  officer, examiner, or member of a committee.

    I can't imagine a former President (of the whole organization) not
    maintaining
    his membership in PTG until his dying day.  Maybe the ad is not
technically
    false, but I'm quite certain it will give the false impression.  No one
    should
    resort to that.  Too bad.

    Regards, Clyde

  There is a former president of the PTG who is no longer a member of the
PTG.

  A person who is not a member of the PTG may not advertise membership in
the
  PTG. Yellow Pages across the country are supposed to have paper work on
this.
  Technically, this person could be sued for false advertising. If the PTG
  wants to pursue this to the full extent, it is my understanding that the
PTG
  could force the technician to change his/her phone number.

  But now comes the big question. This person is advertising he is a former
  president and thus presumably a former member of the PTG. Since he is
clearly
  stating he is a former member of the PTG, can the PTG legally stop him
from
  advertising as such.

  Any legal minds out there want to answer this?

  Wim

    Gary McCormick wrote:

    > There's a new tuner in town; he's got a nice ad in the yellow pages
where
    he
    > also claims to have been a former president of the PTG.
    > So, I go to ptg.org to look up where he's from, and he's not listed!
I go
    > back to the yellow pages, and sure enough, he doesn't have RPT in his
ad.
    > Is this misleading, or copyright infringement?
    > Gary McCormick
    > (By the way, I just turned in my own application for membership in the
    PTG,