Here's a weird one

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:18:24 EST

A blind tuner called me to help him repair, what he thought, was a broken
damper lifter rod bracket. (just what we've been talking about). When I
inspected the action, however, it wasn't the damper lifter rod that was the
problem. The symptoms were almost the same, in that when you push on the
pedal, the dampers wouldn't move. Since he couldn't see, he assumed it was
the lifter rod.

This is a Pratt Read console, with plastic damper flanges. (they are OK). The
problem was a split in the action rail. The action rail holds the hammer and
wippens flanges, as well as the dampers and the damper lifter rod. I had
always assumed it was a sold piece of wood. But apparently, it is two pieces
of wood glued together. And what happened was that the glue dried out. As a
result, the action rail split, length wise, from the treble to about a foot
from the bass.

The repair was easy. I removed all the dampers and the lifter rod, as well as
4 pairs of wippens. I put the action in a cradle, and with the action laying
flat, (so that the groove for the lifter rod faced up), I poured super glue
in the split, clamped it and kicked it. After a few minutes, I took off the
clamps, and reinstalled the parts. Problem solved

Wim