Terry/Rebuilding Uprights

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:23:53 -0800

Terry,
You made a comment: "wish I had kept track of the time....".
IMHO we should all keep better track of the time spent on jobs. My Repair
Labor Guide is a product of doing just that. I know that it's not perfect,
but it does give us a point of reference. I would suggest, that anyone who
is doing shop work, invest in either a good lapse time stop watch or a time
card machine. They are inexpensive and are worth their weight in "gold".
If you use something to keep track of your time spent, then you can check it
against the RLG and decide if you are working efficiently or if the job you
are doing is just more difficult and deserves a higher charge. The whole
point is to be FAIR to yourself AND  the client. It's a difficult
"tightrope" we walk, in this regard, but we are making a living doing this,
so let's get a little more organized.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)