Warped Shanks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:45:23 -0500

I use the hot air gun sold by the piano supply folks. I like it quite a =
bit. I had used flame in the past but......(you know there is a horror =
story there!) I did not like the charred shanks. The hot air gun get =
super hot in like two seconds and you can bend the shanks real easy (I =
usually use my fingers, but I also have a shank bender that I use =
sometimes. You can twist them real easy if you need to. And then just =
switch the little rascal to cold air and in about 4 seconds you can =
touch the gun end - it has cooled to warm. I now leave NO burn marks on =
shanks. I would have some harsh words for any tech that left the shanks =
on my new piano charred (that's just me though)!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Pianotoone@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 1:05 PM
  Subject: Warped Shanks

  Was wondering what's the best way to correct warped (both side to side =
and or=20
  twisted) hammer shanks in order to correct spacing problems.  This is =
an=20
  inexpensive console piano.=20

  I have an electric shank bender, but it heats up to the point where it =
can=20
  burn shanks.  Have never seen instructions on how to use these.  =20

  1.  Do you wrap a wet cloth around the shank and us the bender to =
"steam" the=20
  shank=20

  2.  Do you use a controller between the wall and the bender to control =
the=20
  temperature (like some soldering irons).=20

  3.  Do you throw away the electric bender and use another method.=20

  Any help, as always, will be most appreciated.  And Happy Valentines=20
  Day....especially to the ladies.=20

  Dick Day=20
  Marshall, MI=20