Brand New Topic

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:47:29 EST

In a message dated 2/7/01 4:59:14 PM Central Standard Time, hsrosen@gate.net
writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This has never ever been discussed before (to my knowledge).
>
> Got a call from someone saying that he was an agent. (the entertainment
> kind). He said that a local large country club needed to have their piano
> regulated. I've been in their restaurant a few times as a customer so I know
> that the piano is not a good quality instrument. He said that he recommended
> me and that I should kick back to him 20%.  I started for my computer to
> write to you about this but called him back with a thought. I said I would
> consider a kickback if this turned out to be a sizeable job, but that if
> they liked my work and wanted me to be their tuner on a regular basis, that
> I would be hard pressed to pay him 20% on every tuning. After some
> discussion I made my decision and told him to get a different tuner.
>
> Perhaps a newbie who needs work might have accepted this offer, but I could
> not see this leach benefiting from my work. Besides, I thought agents worked
> on 10%.  Any opinions?
>

> Howard S. Rosen, RPT
> 7262 Angel Falls Ct.
> Boynton Beach, Fl  33437

Howard.

I think you did the right thing by refusing to do the work. I think the guy
was trying to get a few quick bucks. If anything, what you could have done is
give him the bill, and let him charge the restaurant the extra 20%. That way
you conscience would have been clear.

A similar thing happened to me a number of years ago. A piano player at a
restaurant, who was also a booking agent, convinced the owner of the
restaurant to have me put on a new set of h/s/f on a S&S L. She asked for my
price, and got back to me a day later to go ahead and do the work. She wanted
me to give her the bill. I did, and she paid me. Several years later, when
the piano player was no longer playing there, the owner of the restaurant,
who I knew, asked me what I charged for the work. I found out she charged the
owner another $500 over my price. Not bad for a few minutes of work.

There is no reason for us to get paid less for our work. If a "go between"
wants to get a piece of the action, then let him/her get the extra money from
the customer, not take it out of our pocket.

Willem