key tops

Bob Tucker hicall@net66.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:44:42 -0600

Would any of you happen to have about a dozen key tops for a 1908 =
Steinway model K, off-white?  Don't have any here locally.
Have a musical day,
Karen
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 6:59 AM
  Subject: Re: Likes her old clunker

  Ron,=20
  Two related incidents come to mind.  I know an elderly woman who =
traded in her old car for a brand new one.  Within two weeks she decided =
she wanted her old car back and returned the new car at a serious loss.  =
I guess she was happy with her final decision, and the same might apply =
to your client.=20

  (Please note I am only a bystander in this case.)  A local teacher =
bought a new Baldwin studio piano, which she had tried and liked in the =
store.  However, when she got it to her home the voicing sounded very =
uneven.  The store sent out a couple technicians, who could hear the =
problem but were unable to fix it.  The store agreed to exchange the =
piano for another one.  This is still in progress at the moment, I =
think.  It may be that the same applies to your client.  Most certainly =
she should have played the piano before it was delivered, and I assume =
she did that.  Even so, it may seem (or actually be) different in her =
home than it was in the store.  Not an easy situation to deal with; I =
wish you the best.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT=20

  Ron & Lorene Shiflet wrote:=20

    List,    I'm running into a problem.  A good friend and client of =
many years just couldn't stand her old clunker of 50 years.  I sold her =
a brand new professional studio which is a wonderful piano.    While we =
were waiting for the new piano to arrive, she became very emotional =
about her old piano and it became sentimental.  Now she can't seem to =
enjoy her new piano.  I'm trying to decide the best way to deal with =
this.    Her old piano is a 1950's Baldwin spinet, drop action, scuffed =
to death, missing finish from water vases placed on top, unlevel keys, =
poor repetition, action in need of a rebuild, sounds "tinny" at best.    =
Her new piano is a 2001 Charles Walter studio, Queen Anne, Accu-tuned to =
A-440, absolutely nothing wrong with it.    Her complaints are:=20
      a..     The action is stiff.=20
      b..     Keys are hard to press=20
      c..     "It feels like there's cotton under the keys".=20
      d..     The notes don't ring when you let off the key (go figure). =

      e..     Keys don't repeat ( we'll look into this, but it didn't =
happen at     the tuning)=20
      f..     The sound just isn't real bright.=20
      g..     Won't play loud unless you pound.=20
    I've worked for dealers before who had customers so accustomed to =
their old clunker that they hated the good piano.  All of you tasteful =
technicians, how do you deal with this.  Remember, she's female and it's =
an emotional thing.  I told her to play on it for 2 weeks and get used =
to the feel, and then I'll come out. Ron rshiflet@eaznet.com=20