Grand regulating

Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:40:32 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> >   Many piano shops do not have a FLAT, SOLID regulating table (I'm talking
> near perfectly flat). If you do (and the piano has a flat keybed), you can
> come extremely close with the bench regulation. For me, I am not wasting
> time. I am enjoying life. I do not often have fun in people's homes - I work
> hard there. I have fun in my shop - I also get a lot of work done
> (sometimes).

It was one of the Fandrich boys who showed me the failing in this thinking.
Piano's do not generally have DEAD FLAT SOLID NO VARIATIONS  keybeds. Actually
they differ quite a bit.... at least quite a bit in regards to doing very very
fine bench regulation and then expecting this to work in the piano.

If you first want to attempt fine bench regulation then you need to duplicate
the keybed at the shop. Basically that means bedding the keyframe to the piano,
then bedding your bench to the keyframe. Dels brother (I believe ??) had built
just such a workbench and it worked just great.

But then you run into this buisness of diminishing returns..

I aggree with the Ron Shiflet that actually a letoff rack is not entirely
neccessary for bench work. I have often enough eyeballed and rough measured what
I need for the bench, gotten it close enough so that an hours or sos worth of
work in the house results in a very nice regulated piano. I also like the
customer to see a good deal of what I am up to... preferably explaining some
things as I go along.

I also aggree one hundred percent with Terry insisting on doing any cleaning /
refurbishing at the workshop. No sense dirtying up the home with all that dust.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.