Piano Brand Name Puzzler

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 00:17:01 EST

In a message dated 1/8/01 10:23:27 PM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> Kimball

How on earth did you guess.  I should add that the tuning pins were driven to
the proper depth, the coils were neat and uniform and the feel was firm but
easily moved without any jumping.  It was easy to tune compared especially to
some of the pianos mentioned recently on this List, including Steinway, both
grand and upright.  There was not a hint of false beating.  The high
inharmonicity scale actually works to my advantage in the way I tune both
temperament and octaves. In short, I had no complaint nor any reason to think
poorly of this piano.

To me, it looked like one of Kimball's pianos from the Chicago factory but
the tag I read clearly stated that it had been made in French Lick, IN with
the case being made in Jasper (where they apparently still do make piano
cases).  Everyone knows that their quality control and workmanship went down
drastically during the '70's (and maybe a little before and after too) but
that it did recover in the last few years of production.

But couldn't that be said of Steinway too during its CBS ownership?  To me,
the Teflon bushings were more of a scapegoat for numerous defects in
workmanship.  The materials were sometimes questionable but the workmanship
made matters much worse.  I think you could say the same for Kimball when it
was at its worst.

One long term client of mine who is also a good friend who throws an annual
wine and cheese party has a Kimball Viennese edition upright.  He hires a
pianist to play for the event.  At that last event, I heard the owner ask the
pianist what he thought of the piano.  His answer was "rich tone".  It really
surprised me because I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Everyone knows about the bad ones but I think its important to note that as a
company, Kimball was capable of and did produce some good pianos.  Their old
grands had a really rich tone like none other and their really old uprights
were very well made although their brass flanges were not easy to service.

Coincidentally, my 3rd appointment of the day was another Kimball, this time
a "Kimballette" from the Chicago factory in the 1950's.  It had a direct blow
action but had keys with a big step in them.  It was very out of tune and
hardly played at all because there was so much lost motion that the hammers
just bobbled against the strings.  The keys appeared unlevel and floating.
There was so much lost motion in the pedals that they barely worked.  It
sounded terrible and was unplayable.

Now, I have 90 minutes and can decide to turn it down, badmouth the
manufacturer and make the customer feel stupid for even having this thing in
his living room and thinking it is a piano or I can use the knowledge and
skills I have built over the years and make this instrument capable of
playing music.  I wouldn't earn much money doing the first option but I would
doing the second.

So, in checking things out, I see that the capstans need a full turn or more.
 It could use cleaning but no keys were sticking so I decided to do a capstan
adjustment only.  The alignment was good and there were no rattling flanges
and the let-off was reasonable close.  Taking up the lost motion also made
the dampers lift properly.  But there is no capstan tool I know of that will
even reach these capstans, not to mention all of the tedious turning.

The best technique is to pull the key out and give the capstan the estimated
turn easily with the key in hand.  Just as in tuning, making a technique like
this work requires being able to make a good estimate.  The goal is to move
through all of the capstans quickly and easily, avoiding stress and to pick
out just a few here or there that were a bit over or under turned.

As often happens, when I finish, the customer knows it and comes out saying,
"Now that's *beautiful*!"  I never get tired of hearing that.  He sat down to
play and I heard the word "yes" and the sighs and/or moans of pleasure that I
hear from nearly anyone who plays a piano I have tuned and serviced.  He told
me he was glad he had found me because he had about given up hope that this
piano would ever sound and play right.  He said, in fact, "All the other
tuners I ever got *hated* it".

Well, I didn't hate it at all, obviously, but what I really did enjoy was the
reaction of the customer to 90 minutes of good solid technique applied
efficiently and effectively.  I also enjoyed the nice 3 figure check that he
wrote for my work.  To paraphrase Liberace, "I hated that Kimball all the way
to the bank".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin