bosendorfer research

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:13:59 -0400

Willem wrote:
"Take 30% off for age, and deduct costs for repairs."

I'm always trying to better my ability to value pianos. My understanding =
(from Larry Fine's book) is that a good rule of thumb is to devalue a =
piano from new, 25% every 5 to 10 years. Using that, this Bosey might be =
worth less than $40,000. Larry's guide does not take into account =
calculating cost of repairs.

I curious about just how you figure for something like this. Is this =
your general rule to take 10% off per year and then subtract cost of =
repairs to make it like new? My guess is this would fall apart for a =
piano that is in very good condition and 20 years old, but might be real =
good for older pianos. Please fill me/us in on any details I have not =
identified. Thanks!

Terry Farrell

P.S. Downbearing does not necessarily reflect crown - you can have zero =
crown with some downbearing!  :-)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 9:27 AM
  Subject: Re: bosendorfer research

  In a message dated 7/25/01 7:40:43 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  dwight_pile@hotmail.com writes:=20

    2)  what would you value a 30 year old Bosey imperial at with a zero =
crown,=20
    0.5mm downbearing only on the front of the bridge,=20

  .5 mm downbearing is not zero crown. I get the feeling the technician =
in=20
  question is trying to make lots of money by persuading the insurance =
company=20
  to let him replace the soundboard, or get a commission for selling a =
new one.=20

  beaten-up body, cracks in=20
    several ivory keys, and poor regulation and tuning=20
    stability?  Please indicate if you are using U$ or CAN dollars!

  What is the value? In $US, according the spring/summer 2001 Ancott =
directory,=20
  a brand new Bosy 290 Imperial grand retails for $175,000. Take 30% off =
for=20
  age, and deduct costs for repairs. The repairs might include removing =
the=20
  pate, (thus the strings), and repairing the soundboard, and =
restringing,=20
  regulation, etc.=20

  I don't know the extend of the case repairs, but the total restoration =
costs=20
  is not going to exceed the value of the piano. Therefore, it is =
definitely=20
  worth doing. The question is, who is going to do it? In this case, it =
might=20
  be worth it to ship the piano back to Vienna.=20

  Willem Blees=20