89 note scale

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 21:47:19 -0600

When a dealer I serviced took on the Bosenorfer line, the rep. told us =
the reason for the low C on the Imperial was to satisfy a request by a =
composer that was transposing on organ piece that used this note. It =
improved the sound of the bass so well that Bosendorfer continued to use =
it.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 2:52 AM
  Subject: Re: 89 note scale

  =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: November 02, 2001 12:27 PM

    The concept of adding another string, or strings, beyond A0, is to =
give more length bridge. That is the reason behind Bosendorfer's extra =
notes in the bass. Sure, it's impressive to have those added notes, but =
how many people actually play them?  From what I was told, by adding =
more notes to the bass, it pushed the last octave, A0 - A1, closer to =
the middle of the soundboard, where it could produce a bigger and more =
defined sound.=20

    Wim=20
---

  =20
  Yes, I've heard that as well, but I don't believe it. Surely the =
designer can put the bridge any place he/she wants it to be. If you want =
the lowest notes to cross the bridge closer to the middle of the =
soundboard, simply put them there. And if it is desirable for the bridge =
to be longer then just make it longer. There is no need to put strings =
on it.=20
  =20
  No, I expect the extra notes were added because some composer or =
performer wanted them. Once that first piano was designed and built it =
would have been relatively easy to continue building it. And why not? =
It's great marketing even if of little practical value -- although I =
imagine there were pianists like Oscar Peterson around back then as =
well.
  =20
  Del
  =20