key leveling -- crown?

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:30:34 -0600

Greg,
Folding Stool with Wheels- Harbor Freight #44061 . Approximately 13" x
13" x 16" tall. The casters which are pretty poor in quality but the
whole thing cost about $8 on sale, got what I paid for.. I have worked
on it in the folded positition also, using it as a rolling kneeler. I'm
5'8" so it may be a bit high for you.
Hope this helps,
Dale
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Greg Newell
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 4:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: key leveling -- crown?

Dale,
    Would you care to share any more info on this stool? Also, How tall
are you? I'm wondering if someone 6' and shrinking might benefit from
this as well.

Greg

Dale Probst wrote:

Carl,You could measure speaking length with a rubber yardstick if you
stretched it the same amount on each string. It might take a while to
get the feel but you could do it. Same with dip, just takes practice
which will yield pretty accurate results. Your method would probably
work but I haven't tried it.As to the glides, I don't change them
because it will affect the leveling. You have a good point about the
wear factor but it has not caused me a problem yet. I still have to do
some fine leveling in the piano. By the way, Harbor Freight sells a
small folding stool on wheels that puts me about the right height for
key leveling and damper work on grands. Makes life a little
easier.Best,Dale

--
Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net