Running CA

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 05:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wally,

I'm not Don, but I think I know what he might
have had in mind.

Others had mentioned leaving the piano on a
tilter overnight with the possibility of
something happening such as the collapse of the
thing with a child underneath, etc., etc.

I can think of two uses for some pieces of 2X4
material.

I have used pieces of 2X4 under the bottom of the
piano placed so that the piano will pivot on the
2X4s rather than the casters on it's trip from
vertical to horizontal.  It also distributes the
weight of the piano from two single points (the
bottoms of the casters) to a wider area.
Potentially useful on not so hard wood floors.

The other place for 2X4 material would be under
the back of the piano up near the pinblock area.
It wouldn't do much...except when you're ready to
pick the thing back up again...  if it isn't
there, just WHERE do you grab onto this monster
to lift???

An alternative might be getting two pieces of 2X4
about 7' long.  Setting the piano on one end of
each of them with the long end sticking out would
give you a pretty good idea of the footprint
you'd need to lay it over too.  (Ever tried to
lay one over and discover halfway down that you
didn't have room???)

All that being said, the tilter is easier.  But
then again, a tilter will cost you dearly,
probably getting close to $500.  A 2X4 might cost
you $1.50, but you'll need a friend or two (with
strong backs) to help.  Either one gets the job
done.

(And... if it's a bad neighborhood you're working
in, carrying a 2X4 to and from your car might
feel good!, especially for those "Hacksaw Jim
Duggan" wanna be's!)  :-)

Brian T.

--- Wilsons <wilson53@Marshall.edu> wrote:
> Don & all,
>
> 	Kay and I have done the procedure w CA glue on
> many pianos with acceptable
> results.  But could you say more about using
> 2x4s?
>
> 	Wally Wilson, RPT
>
> At 09:26 PM 10/17/01 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi Clyde,
> >
> >I don't do this on a tilter but on 2 2X4's so
> the piano would be rather
> >hard to crawl under. Unless the kids have
> already been squashed. *grin*

=====
Brian Trout
Grand Restorations