Two interesting pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:27:09 -0500

It was me that recently posted about the Wissner. I service a 9-foot Wissner. It appears to be quite a substantial piano.

Here is part of my 3/4/02 post:
"Anyone ever heard of a Wissner piano? Factory was in the Bronx (I think). I serviced a 9-foot Wissner grand yesterday. 1939. Appears to be a Steinway D clone? Anyone have an opinion on that? I has a WN&G action. It looks to be a fairly substantial piano. Anyone have experience with the Wissner or perhaps other similar D clones?"

To which Jack (what a great guy!) Wyatt responded:
  Hello to All:

     Otto Wissner left Germany in 1869 to come
to American to learn to build pianos in the American
way.  He found employment with George Steck and
then with Fred Mathusheck.  It is any wonder that he
was destined to build great Pianos.
      He then came to Brooklyn where he went into the
business as a technician and dealer. In 1890 he began
the manufacture of the " Wissner" piano.
       Otto had three sons who carried on the business
well into the 1900s.  It is a Piano well worth rebuilding
today.

   Hope this helps:
   Jack Wyatt

And that's all I know about that!

Big Steinway sounds awesome - bring it to my shop, we'll rebuild it!

Terry Farrell