Kawai UST-8G

Tue, 02 Apr 2002 18:42:51 +0200

Leslie W Bartlett wrote:

>         Tuned above piano yesterday, and the lowest three notes, bi-chords, on
> the treble bridge were almost untuneable. I wrote pianotech from a
> "foreign address" and didn't see it show up, so will try from here.  Is
> this "usual" for this piano. I could stop the blocks nicely (Tunelab
> Pro), on each string, but when played together they were horrible, and it
> was also impossible to get a clean octave at any perceived overtone.
>         Thoughts would be appreciated.
> les bartlett
> houston

Did you try using your ears ?? grin.  Seriously tho.. some pianos just sound plain
bad in the lowest regions. Perhaps voicing down might help. My experience with
some lower end Kawaiis would make me think about getting a bit closer to the
fundemental if I could. But Kawaii is not alone in this for sure. I have seen a
few of the old Eastern European makes have a similiar problem... but it seemed
like in the eastern pianos you always had this "overloaded with fabric softener"
wash of higher overtones, and with the eastern european low ends it was because
the whole bass was generally just plain tubby... sometimes tubby to the extreme.

Suggestion..... take a dead on 8:4 octave by directly referencing the 4th partial
of the higher note and tuning the 8th partial of the lower note to that... and
walk away... Or try voicing down a bit to quite some of the higher partial wash
and see what your ear can come up with.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.