Kawai UST-8C

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:49:24 -0500

Don,
We still need the strings, in warranty or not. The tenor bass strings =
are completely out of phase with each other and it is simply impossible =
to tune clean unisons.
Out of desperation, I blocked off one string per note just to make it =
tolerable. The piano is used in a professional setting.
Let me get the model and serial number to get this ball rolling to get =
this corrected once and for all.
Tom Servinsky,RPT=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 1:39 AM
  Subject: Re: Kawai UST-8C

  Tom (and list)

  I don't mind supplying some strings - but if the piano is out of =
warranty that explains why I told you before that the piano shouldn't =
have a problem.  It occurred only for a relatively short time in =
production around 1996, so a piano that is past the warranty couldn't =
have the same problem.  While this individual piano you tuned may have =
some kind of problem, it's not the same thing - it would have been =
strung in Japan.  It only applies to US strung backs in a fairly short =
time period, and only those 6 tenor bichord strings.

  For Phillip, the problem was when Kawai America Manufacturing first =
started stringing the backs for this model in North Carolina.  =
Previously the backs came to the US pre-strung in Japan.  One day a =
technician in a store called me to say that he couldn't tune the tenor =
strings, so I had to get a piano uncrated and check it.  I then got the =
NC factory to fax me the scale sheet and compared it with the piano =
measurements, and found that someone at Kawai had transposed some =
numbers on the scale chart when writing it out for Mapes.  They simply =
got them mixed up, so the bottom ends of the windings were not even.

  I faxed the corrected figures to Mapes, and all was fixed.

  We uncrated all remaining pianos in our inventory and changed the =
strings, then had dealers change them in their stock.  For about a year =
we were sending out a lot of them, but we only get a call every few =
months or so now - most of the strings have already been changed.

  So see, even Kawai makes mistakes once in a while! ;-)

  Don Mannino RPT