Enough already!!

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 06:11:45 -0600

Andy -- our list guru -- is currently installing software on 2 new
servers that will be used for this list, and for the PTG web page.
He is a very knowledgable professional who does this free.  His
filters catch 95% of the spam that comes through.

There are no filters that will catch everything.  The spamers
generally have good brains too, and they can figure out how to get
their messages past the filters.  When filters get two tight,
legitimate messages are delayed until they are approved by Andy and
people then gripe about how long it took to get a message delivered.

Why is it that we can take junk mail from the mailbox and walk it to
the trash can and never say anything, but we have to make a big deal
out of moving our finger 0.3 inches to the delete key?

Dave Porritt
Chair, Electronic Communications Committee

On 4/4/02 at 7:20 PM Robert Goodale wrote:

>This list is getting buried in spam!  If it isn't some stupid chain
>letter proposing to split a fortune for laundering money from
Africa,
>it's a Chinese company trying to sell lamps and ceiling fans!  Today
it
>is yet another get rich quick thingy!  HELP!!!!  Filters, filters,
>filters!  Is there a way to privatize this list?  Perhaps a password

>required to submit a post?
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV

David M. Porritt