Vellum (leather) Hinges

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:17:19 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> I usually glue the vellum into the slot with cold hide glue, making certain
> that none gets outside the slot. There should be a .001" or so amount of
> vellum visible between the two parts. This visible vellum should not have
> any glue on it. Try to be consistant. Takes practice but is doable. I apply
> the glue to the slot with a very thin pallette knife, then insert the
> vellum. The downward insertion of the vellum usually assures that the glue
> stays in the slot.
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Hi Joe, and thanks for the tip... On this instrument vellum is only used to
hinge the damper lever itself. The "flange" that the damper wire screws into is
"hinged" to this lever by leather, not vellum. The leather needs really no glue
to hold it in place in the slot tho I do put just a smidgen of white glue on
the leather to make sure..

What I wanted to know was whether or not you want the whole surface of the
remaining leather....that joins to the lever glued tight to it, or whether you
should leave just a mm or so right below the center line of the slot on the
lever unglued... whats best for the freedom of movement needed for the
flange... hard to explain really.. perhaps a picture might help...

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.