Scale tension

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:23:16 +0200

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> Richard:
>
> I think soft hammers break more strings than hard ones.  Why?
> Because the pianist wants a certain sound for the fff climax of the
> piece.  If the hammers are soft, he/she has to hit the keys harder.
> Still not enough sound, hit them harder yet.  Bang!  It happens all
> the time.
>
> dave

Could be.... makes sense on the surface of it.. These particular strings
broke whilst I was tuning up the instrument right after installation of
the new hammers and rough regulation. I usually hit the keys just about
the same regardless of the voicing.... I remember thinking "what the
frog is happening here" grin... more I dont know.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.