Scale tension

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:45:38 EST

In a message dated 4/5/02 11:29:12 AM Central Standard Time,
dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> I think soft hammers break more strings than hard ones.  Why?
> Because the pianist wants a certain sound for the fff climax of the
> piece.  If the hammers are soft, he/she has to hit the keys harder.
> Still not enough sound, hit them harder yet.  Bang!  It happens all
> the time.
>
> dave

I do agree that a pianist wants to hear a loud sound, and he will play hard,
but I don't think it is necessarily the condition of the hammers. The same
pianist who broke strings on his B, didn't break them on the D in the concert
hall, either before the concert when he practiced, and during the concert.
And he played the Rach 3, quite a loud and boisterous piece, to say the
least.

I think part of the problem is the playing technique. Some pianist have a
technique that will cause strings to break, regardless whether they are soft
or not. A very good jazz player in St. Louis had reputation of breaking
strings. It was something in his attacking the notes that caused strings to
break. A lot of fundamental churches break strings, because they constantly
play hard. So I don't think it is all related to the condition of hammers.

Wim