reading

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 10:30:19 -0800

I'm tired of reading Kawai ads slowly.  How do you pronounce "Shigeru"??????

I have a few comments about Japanese pronunciation. In general, understanding how to pronounce a Japanese word is very easy as long as you know where each syllable starts and stops. Japanese does not have syllable slurred together like have in English; keep each syllable nice and even.

Shi-ge-ru (she-gay-ru)

The one the really makes me crazy is the piano manufacturer Kawai. I have honestly never herd this pronounced correctly here in the States. I generally hear people say "ko-wai." That is just wrong! Kawai (ka-wa-i) has three equally stressed syllables. I guess the reason that this drives me so crazy is that there are two words in Japanese that are very similar in sound to ka-wa-i (the piano manufacturer): 1. ka-wa-i-i (cute/beautiful)  2. ko-wa-i (scary). It is so odd to hear people pronounce Kawai as "ko-wai" because it sounds so similar to ko-wa-i (scary). Although that sometimes better describes the sound of some of there models: ko-wa-i . . .

Bradley M. Snook