chickering square grand general info.

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:51:10 -0500

At 08:32 AM 4/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks, Jon. A bench didn't occur to me.  I could still use the rim and lid
>for a tool cabinet with a plywood  or pegboard back.  Paul Chick

The two which I have made into benches were not Chickerings and had damages
which required more than repair,
restoration far exceeded their value.

I have seen a few restored Chickerings and they are truly nice pianos. I
would, and have, repaired square grands for customers
but would not restore one on speculation. the customer base is too slim.
There are some who can find customers for restored
squares; they probably also have the space to warehouse them until sold.
Having limited quarters I do not wish to fill my floor
space with specialty items.  Last year I gave two squares away, a
Chickering and a Woodward & Brown which the owners
wanted remove from their homes. Fortunately, there is a tech in this area
who has a collection and takes most of this old stuff.
Otherwise there would have been two more benches/cabinets.

So if these pianos are as valuable as some claim, why can't you sell
it?  Joe, how much will you pay for it?
If it has to be given away then it has no value.  D. L. (recently joined
the list) restores these, maybe he can help.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com